Cost – $200
BICSI – 4 CEC’s, ETA – 4 CEC’s
The OTDR has been a key instrument for testing and troubleshooting outside plant (OSP) installations. However, the applications and the wavelengths used have changed over time to address new technologies. The testing of reflections is now considered a basic function of OSP testing alongside the traditional attenuation testing, event mapping and fiber length reporting. In an era of icon based, pass/fail OTDR reporting and auto testing features, understanding the settings and the details behind your OTDR results is still critical.
This session consists of several sections that will review the important elements one should consider when looking at how the OTDR should be used to evaluate fiber optic communications systems.
- OTDR overview – how it works and how to choose the right one for your needs
- Demonstration: Testing for reflections and Optical Return Loss
- Demonstration: Discovering and analyzing events (connections, splices, bends/stress points).
- Demonstration: How adjusting settings can affect your results
- Demonstration: Testing PON networks (point to multi-point) vs. long-haul, point-to-point
- Saving, reporting and recalling data
- Questions and answer period
From the novice to the expert, this session will enhance your knowledge of the OTDR and how you can best utilize its capabilities in existing and future fiber optic installations.